[Question #36928]: yahoo messenger doesn't show up in pidgin on ubuntu

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Sat Jun 21 17:49:40 EDT 2008

Cara wrote:
> Question #36928 on pidgin in ubuntu changed:
> https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pidgin/+question/36928

> Cara is still having a problem:
> It does not show an icon for YIM so I can enable that account. It put
> the screenname for my YIM account under AIM, so of course, it does not
> work. I tried going under advanced options and changing it, but that
> doesn't work either.(perhaps I am not doing it correctly?) this is what
> I got on the debug window when I tried.

The debug window output you pasted seems to be consistent with a bad username
and password error on AIM.  Of course, that's not your real problem.

Open the debug window (Help->Debug Window), then open the Plugins dialog
(Tools->Plugins).  This will make Pidgin re-probe its plugins, thus showing some
useful debugging information.  At this point you should be able to type yahoo in
the text box at the top of the debug window and click Filter.  When that happens
you'll see yahoo-specific messages, including any plugin probe messages or
errors relating to the yahoo plugin.  Please provide *that* debug output.

John