Message resize behavior horribly broken

Jason Kontkanen vajasonk at gmail.com
Sat Mar 1 18:41:10 EST 2008

> Please do us the dignity of at least trying to define
> "horribly broken".
>
> There are apparently two issues at stake here; one is that the input
> box is *intended* to be fixed in height, and starts at two lines of
> text, expanding as needed (up to about 4 lines, where it sprouts a
> scrollbar).  The second is a _bug_, where under some circumstances the
> input box is ~0 pixels in height until text is entered.  The latter
> will certainly be corrected, the former is not likely to change
> without some serious consideration from all parties.

I apologize for that reaction, it just struck me as a troublesome change in
UI design, and to me, not for the better.  Part of the reason I picked
pidgin is because it gives me options, unlike some other all-in-one clients
that force their design on you with no option to make things look like you
want them to.  I've talked to a couple friends who use pidgin and they say
they will also be sticking to 2.3.1 because of this change, so I don't think
I'm alone with my feeling.