Please change the 2.4.0 input field's resize behaviour

Mark Scott pidgin.im at codebrewer.com
Tue Mar 4 04:37:51 EST 2008

Etan Reisner wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 07:27:21PM +0000, Mark Scott wrote:

>> My current Pidgin window turns out to be 887x957 pixels, including
>> window manager decorations.  That's probably an average size.
>
> My window here at work is ~822x521, in part because I have side tabs, if
> Windows wasn't such an anemic window manager they would be top tabs and my
> window would be that much narrower. I happen to think I'm on the larger
> size of IM windows here at work, though I'd have to poll people to find
> out. (Is there a simple Windows tool to find out the current size of a
> window? I used print screen and Gimp to get my numbers.)

I use the Gimp to capture an individual window:

File -> Acquire -> Screenshot... -> Take a screenshot of a single window

Don't know if it can do the same on Windows though, nor of any
alternatives for Windows.

> Given the quick informal internet survey of screenshots found via google
> (ignoring ones directly on pidgin.im) I get an average size of 466x354,
> which is significantly smaller than your 887x957 and decidedly smaller
> than my 822x521. So assuming my unscientific survey is representative I
> don't think we are wrong in our belief that your window is extremely
> large.

But isn't it great when we find out people are successfully using our
software in ways we hadn't envisaged? ;-)

--
Mark Scott
mark at codebrewer.com