Two typing notifications don't make sense. What do you think?

Tristan McLeay tristan at cassowary.org
Sun Mar 16 03:11:04 EDT 2008

On Mon, 03 Mar 2008 12:18:18 -0500, Etan Reisner wrote:

> Lastly, what about the current system do you feel is 'noisy'? Is there
> something about it which could be changed which would mitigate your
> dislike for it (other than removing it)?

I have to agree with the people who describe it as distracting. It makes
the text bounce around, takes up a lot of space, and appears where you
expect the conversation to go. I find myself looking at it much too
often. I much preferred the old method with the typing notification in
the menubar (I disable tabs): that way, I only knew if someone was typing
if I specifically went out and looked for that information. I can't see
any way to mitigate my dislike for this new behavior as long as the
message necessarily interrupts the important parts of the conversation
window, being what I'm saying and what someone else has said. Typing when
there's a message there saying "(user) is typing..." also makes it feel
like you're interrupting them.

Is there any posibility of making this an option? I simply don't use
Pidgin to be informed that someone might be about to send me a message.

--
Tristan.