Broken Support for Google Talk?

Cobus Kruger cobus at kplanet.co.za
Sun Mar 23 16:49:13 EDT 2008

Hi,

I use Google Talk, but the email address I registered with was not a gmail
address (I seem to be the only guy in the world who doesn't have one). When
configuring Pidgin though, it seems that the domain absolutely has to be
gmail.com, or alternatively some domain with Google Apps installed. My domain
doesn't have Google Apps, but logging into Google Talk has never been a
problem.

Now with Pidgin, I have tried the following and got error messages on all:

Domain: mydomain.com
Error: Could not establish a connection with the server: Unknown error

Domain: mydomain.com
Connect Server: talk.google.com
Error: Unknown Host

Domain: gmail.com
Error: Could not establish a connection with the server: Unknown error

This last time it reflects the login as cobus at gmail.com which clearly shouldn't
work, as that is not my email address.

So what gives? Is it not possible to use Pidgin on a non-gmail address?

Or is it?

Cobus