libpurple unbundled?

Jonathan Pickard jhp at adjustablelabs.info
Fri May 2 19:57:14 EDT 2008

Hello all,

I understand that libg**m was once distributed unbundled from the
frontends.  Might you consider reinstating an unbundled libpurple-only
release as source or optionally binary?  If this were still so, those of us
with strong feelings about recent UI decisions would have simply upgraded
libpurple; personality conflicts wouldn't reach forking point, such as it
is; and the devs could perform UI experiments to their hearts' content
without upsetting unwilling participants.

(FWIW, the mouse wheel in the fixed-size input is a less visually
distracting way for me to navigate and compose medium-to-large instant
messages than auto-resize.)

Thanks,
Jonathan