Remote control

Yang Zhang yanghatespam at gmail.com
Tue May 6 15:26:36 EDT 2008

Hi, I've seen various mailing list posts and a related project (remote
logging), but perhaps there have been updates/progress since those
posts/projects.  I'm wondering if there's a way to use a local
pidgin/purple frontend to control a remote pidgin/purple backend.

This is so that I can leave myself logged in at one location (at least
for those protocols which only support a single login), and all the
logging also take place on the server.

This sounds like a reasonable thing to want, but I realize it can be
tricky because of various issues, such as: How do you make portable as
much as possible (such as plugins)?  How do you make explicit to the
user that things like file transfers and AIM's DirectConnect would need
to take place at the server and not the local client?  Etc.

(Currently I use VNC, but VNC can be a frustrating experience.  And I
don't use pidgin-text + screen.)