Equivalent of alt+keypad on MS Windows?

Luke Schierer lschiere at pidgin.im
Fri May 23 07:01:00 EDT 2008

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 04:05:24PM -0700, Matt Bonner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Pidgin (2.4.2) on MS Windows, everything is great, no bugs to report.
> Just found the switchspell plugin, which I recommend highly if you IM with
> people in more than one language.
>
> One question: in most Windows apps, you can get accented characters using
> alt+keypad combinations, like alt-130 gets you an accented e (like é if that
> comes through correctly). How do I get that to work in Pidgin?
>
> thanks,
> Matt

the alt+decimal code for latin1 insert is a function of the windows input widgets.  As we
use Gtk+ instead, we do not have support for that.  However, you can
press control-shift-u and then type in a hex code for a unicode insert.
Note, this is both a different base (hexadecimal vrs decimal), but also
a different encoding, so the same codes will not work.

luke