Compiling Pidgin 2.5.2 with Networkmanager support

Andreas Neiser andreas.neiser at gmail.com
Mon Oct 20 18:28:51 EDT 2008

Hey folks,
I just compiled pidgin 2.5.2 and the About dialog says the following:

Debugging Information
  Arguments to ./configure:   '--prefix=/usr' '--sysconfdir=/etc'
'--disable-schemas-install' '--disable-meanwhile' '--enable-nm'
'--disable-perl' '--disable-gnutls' '--disable-doxygen'
'--with-system-ssl-certs=/etc/ssl/certs' 'CFLAGS=-march=pentium-m -O2
-pipe -fomit-frame-pointer' 'CXXFLAGS=-march=pentium-m -O2 -pipe
-fomit-frame-pointer'
  Print debugging messages: No
  Plugins: Enabled
  SSL: SSL support is present.

  Library Support
    Cyrus SASL: Disabled
    D-Bus: Enabled
    Evolution Addressbook: Disabled
    Gadu-Gadu library (libgadu): Internal
    GtkSpell: Enabled
    GnuTLS: Disabled
    GStreamer: Enabled
    Mono: Disabled
    NetworkManager: Enabled
    Network Security Services (NSS): Enabled
    Perl: Disabled
    Startup Notification: Enabled
    Tcl: Enabled
    Tk: Enabled
    X Session Management: Enabled
    XScreenSaver: Enabled
    Zephyr library (libzephyr): Internal
    Zephyr uses Kerberos: No

As you can see, the networkmanager support is enabled. But nothing
happens when I plug out my network cable while pidgin is running
(Networkmanager shows the change in the connection and I can see
something going on with `dbus-monitor`). I expected that Pidgin notices
the loss of connection and reconnects the protocols properly. But this
doesn't happen and it takes some minutes until Pidgin notices a
disconnection... Is there something I have to enable in order to get it
working? For example tell dbus that pidgin is allowed to listen to the
dbus events triggered by networkmanager?
I'm using www.archlinux.org and my networkmanager version is 0.6.5.
Thanks for an answer
Andreas