IRC option.

John Bailey rekkanoryo at rekkanoryo.org
Sat Sep 20 18:02:00 EDT 2008

David Balazic wrote:
> If you enter your password in the IRC account properties, then pidgin
> will automatically
> send the password to NickServ. I have use this on freenode and it works
> fine.
>
> David

This works only on freenode and similarly stupid IRC servers which chain the
server password to NickServ.  The password field on an IRC account is for the
server password--i.e. a password which must be supplied in order to connect to
the server.  Nick passwords are provided by services, which are not part of the
IRC specification.  Authentication with services is covered in the FAQ at
http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Protocol%20Specific%20Questions#IsthereawaytomakePidginautomaticallyidentifymeonlogin
(and the question following that one covers authentication using only the
features built into Pidgin).

John