Hi All I can't get Pidgin to sign into Yahoo

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Sun Apr 12 15:22:37 EDT 2009

On Sun, 12 Apr 2009 11:29:20 -0600
Phillip Reynes <phillip59 at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi everyone
>
> I can't get pidgin to sign into Yahoo.  I also need advice about the
> 'Off the Record' add on.  I am a judicial activist and writer for a
> number of dissident journals and need a certain amount of security.  I
> was hoping to use pidgin  to instant message with sources and others
> where sensitive material needed to be discussed.

OTR works well in these kinds of situations, you also need to ensure
that you take other appropriate precautions to prevent leakage of
conversation data. Not keeping logs at all is one of them, unless you
copy text from the conversation window into another application in
which you can ensure privacy. I'd suggest visiting the OTR web pages at
Cypherpunks and also asking more on the OTR users list.

> MSN messenger seems to work fine on pidgin for me but yahoo as I said
> will not sign in. In the debug window I get the following message:
> > (11:24:46) *util:* Writing file prefs.xml to directory C:\Documents
> > and Settings\Phillip Reynes\Application Data\.purple
> > (11:24:46) *util:* Writing file C:\Documents and Settings\Phillip
> > Reynes\Application Data\.purple\prefs.xml
> I'm not very savvy technically and do not have a clue as to what this
> means.

These statements simply mean that the preferences file is being saved
in the directories indicated. It is called prefs.xml, and the directory
is called .purple as that is the name of the library Pidgin uses and
the name has been reused for that directory name.

The Yahoo problem details or at least some pointers to what is happening
will quite likely show up in the debug window, is there any more there
than what you have typed? Open it and then try and log on to Yahoo and
see what appears.

--

Brian Morrison

   "Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling with a pig in the mud;
    after a while you realize you are muddy and the pig is enjoying it."