pidgin on LAN

ChO₂ chemistrydioxide at quantentunnel.de
Sat Apr 18 20:30:43 EDT 2009

Bonjour doesn't use servers. It's a serverless protocol that is designed
to be used in a LAN, so talking to external users via Bonjour will
probably not be feasible. (You could let them connect to your network
via VPN to make Bonjour possible, but I think this might be too
complicated).

As you want external users to connect to your server as well, I
recommend Jabber/XMPP. Letting external users connect to your server is
possible of course, but you need to make shure that your server is
reachable from outside your LAN. This means that you might need a port
forwarding (if you're behind a NAT) and maybe a DynDNS domain name.