Get IP of XMPP Buddy

Nikolaus Rath Nikolaus at rath.org
Fri Apr 24 19:09:41 EDT 2009

Using a plugin wouldn't be the problem, writing it first is. I was
hoping that someone else might have already done it, but from the
comments so far I'm pretty sure nobody did :-). I don't need it badly
enough to start with the coding, so I'll stick to the showmyip.com
solution for now.

Thanks,
-Nikolaus

ChO₂ <chemistrydioxide at quantentunnel.de> writes:
> If you really need this, you could write an XEP and a plugin to do this,
> but then both users will need to use the plugin in order to see each
> other's IP.

> Von: Dave Warren <lists at hireahit.com>
> An: support at pidgin.im
> Betreff: Re: Get IP of XMPP Buddy
> Datum: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 08:45:09 -0700
> Mailer: Forte Agent 5.00/32.1171
>
> On Thu, 23 Apr 2009 21:34:04 -0400, Nikolaus Rath <Nikolaus at rath.org>
> was claimed to have wrote:
>
>>Jo-Erlend Schinstad <joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com> writes:
>>> That would be a very, very, strange feature of the XMPP protocol.
>>
>>Why is that?
>
> Because it isn't necessary, and doesn't directly benefit the user in any
> specific way.
>
>>As has already been mentioned, this is essential to set up
>>direct connections for file-transfer, video, speech etc.
>
> Yes, and in those cases the IP will be exchanged if it's known.  Since
> it's not needed for chat, it isn't disclosed.

   -Nikolaus