Cannot connect to Google Talk

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Thu Apr 30 08:01:21 EDT 2009

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 4:15 AM, David Vaughan
<david.vaughan at satemail.com> wrote:
> Hi there.
>

>                 Using Pidgin 2.5.5 I can successfully connect to a Google
> Talk account with a googlemail.com domain.  However, when I use Pidgin to
> connect to a Google Talk account with a hotmail.co.uk domain, the connection
> is rejected as Not Authorized.
>

> I am using the following settings:
>
>    Username:    myaccount
>
>    Domain:         hotmail.co.uk
>
>    Require SSL/TLS:   not ticked
>
>    Force old SSL:        not ticked
>
>    Allow plain text auth:  not ticked
>
>    Connect port:   5222
>
>    Connect Server:   talk.google.com

This is simply not possible.  XMPP (which is what Google Talk is based
on) requires that the domain be configured to be used with the
specified connect server.  Unlike MSN, where you can have an arbitrary
email address of yours as your username, in XMPP the domain means
something in how the protocol works.  As it certainly is not going to
be the case that MSN has configured hotmail.co.uk to be a Google Apps
domain, you cannot have a `@hotmail.co.uk` JID.

-D