Can we?

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Aug 3 03:56:48 EDT 2009

On Sat, Aug 1, 2009 at 2:22 AM, David Woolley<forums at david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:
> Mark Doliner wrote:
>
>> Nope, 6 b) allows binary software to be distributed on a CD as long as
>> it is accompanied by a written offer to either give people the source
>> via CD or give people access to the source on a network server.
>
> No. It doesn't allow the network server option.

Are we looking at the same 6 b?

"b) Convey the object code in, or embodied in, a physical product
(including a physical distribution medium), accompanied by a written
offer, valid for at least three years and valid for as long as you
offer spare parts or customer support for that product model, to give
anyone who possesses the object code either (1) a copy of the
Corresponding Source for all the software in the product that is
covered by this License, on a durable physical medium customarily used
for software interchange, for a price no more than your reasonable
cost of physically performing this conveying of source, or (2) access
to copy the Corresponding Source from a network server at no charge."

I really feel like part (2) states that it's ok to just give people
access to the source on a network server.  Or am I misreading this?

-Mark