Too large error

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Aug 11 03:24:39 EDT 2009

David Woolley wrote:
> yaip wrote:
>> I'm not too sure what you mean by service. I'm just chatting to
>> someone on
>> who is on Yahoo. Is Yahoo a service you mean?
>>

> Yahoo is the service.  You are not just chatting to someone on Yahoo,

In the case of Yahoo, Pidgin imposes the limit, but that limit is the
limit used by the official Yahoo client.  Although you could recompile
Pidgin, to change the limit, the result is likely to be rejection or
truncation by Yahoo.

This is the relevant part of the source code (there is a second limit
check, but this is the one that is likely to be triggered normally):

pidgin-2.5.8/libpurple/protocols/yahoo/yahoo.h lines 190 et. seq.

/*
  * Current Maximum Length for Instant Messages
  *
  * This was found by experiment.
  *
  * The YMSG protocol allows a message of up to 948 bytes, but the
official client
  * limits to 800 characters.  According to experiments I conducted, it
seems that
  * the discrepancy is to allow some leeway for messages with mixed
single- and
  * multi-byte characters, as I was able to send messages of 840 and 932
bytes
  * by using some multibyte characters (some random Chinese or Japanese
character
s,
  * to be precise). - rekkanoryo
  */
#define YAHOO_MAX_MESSAGE_LENGTH_BYTES 948
#define YAHOO_MAX_MESSAGE_LENGTH_CHARS 800

--
David Woolley