"the message is too large"

Richard Jackson richard_jackson at attglobal.net
Tue Aug 11 08:42:06 EDT 2009

My issue is with pidgin when exchanging messages with the Yahoo IM service.

I just did a quick test using the basic Yahoo interface.  Somewhere around
800 characters, the standard product stops accepting new characters -- I can
type but after about 800 characters, they are not echoed to the input
control and are not sent to the recipient.

[for the pedantic, the test description = in notepad, create a line of text
that is about 100 characters long, select the line, ctrl-c, start the
standard Yahoo application, paste the line one time into the input area,
click send.  Repeat paste and send while pasting 2 times, 3 times, and so
forth.  When I paste the line 8 times, a few characters are dropped off the
end of the last line (my line is not exactly 800 characters long and
contains a CRLF etc).  When I paste the line 9 times, the last paste does
not show in the input area at all.]

Thanks for the note about ctrl-up retrieving the previous message, that will
reduce my blood pressure.

As others have done, I would encourage the developers to think about ways to
deal with this (silly) Yahoo limitation.  Of the ideas that I saw, my
personal favorite so far is the one that goes, "automatically split the
typing into acceptable-sized chunks and send several messages".  I like it
because it makes everyone happy and requires me to do -- nothing.  It could
be made even more cool by splitting on the last space, comma, semicolon,
period, slash, or other white space or special character.  Obviously this
gets more complicated if the user is typing in another character set -- oh
well.

For those who avoided whacking me on the head about the Yahoo service
limitation -- thanks.

To whomever maintains the help: use the built in camera and/or microphone to
capture pictures (still or movies and sound) of users losing their
beautiful, important and completely obliterated composition.  Post them on
utube (possibly without the sound).  Barring that functionality, I would
give some consideration to adding a note to the help.

Regards ... Richard Jackson