Upgrading from GAIM

Mike Webb weeble7591 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 12 19:24:33 EDT 2009

I've been using GAIM 1.5.0 for some time (it came with my copy of Puppy
Linux) and have been quite content with it. Up until now, I've seen no
reason to upgrade to Pidgin. I am presently running Puppy Linux 3.01.

Now there's a reason. I'm getting messages from Yahoo! that support (I
presume protocol support) for the "Yahoo! Messenger" (hee hee hee) I'm using
expires August 15. I'm presuming Pidgin will take me back into the
"supported" realm, and have installed it.

However, I've not seen any notes on how to make moving to Pidgin an actual
upgrade in the sense of my accounts, settings, logs and such from GAIM being
imported into Pidgin. May I simply drag-n-drop my GAIM data directories'
content into the corresponding Pidgin data directories, or is more required?
Are there things that have changed so much (such as the settings files) that
I cannot simply use the GAIM files, but have to set it up from scratch?

Any help along this line will be appreciated. The 15th is only 3 days away!

Thanks,
Mike Webb