Pidgin in a TrueCrypt Volume

muffet muffet at tx.rr.com
Wed Aug 12 23:54:10 EDT 2009

Richard Laager wrote:

> On Wed, 2009-08-12 at 22:20 -0400, John Bailey wrote:
>>
>> The location of Pidgin's configuration directory (which includes logs)
>> can be
>> changed by creating a .bat file that calls Pidgin with the -c argument.
>> If your
>> TrueCrypt volume is mounted with Windows drive letter T:, then your
>> script would
>> look something like this:
>>
>> @echo off
>> "C:\Program Files\Pidgin\pidgin.exe" -c T:\.purple
>
> Or you could set the environment variable PURPLEHOME to "T:\" (for
> example).
>
> Richard

Thank you, both!

The .bat file worked, and while the environment variable is smoothest for
me, the .bat file will be great for my boss.  (He's great, but has no time
or patience for these things.)

I telecommute too far away to set this up for him, so I'm hoping to put
together a TrueCrypt volume with everything he needs in it, ready for him to
just mount the volume and run Pidgin - from the .bat file I'll include.

One problem I ran into, however, was that Vista wouldn't allow me to either
move or delete the .purple file (copy worked).  I have admin rights and
approved in uac. It just repeatedly asked me to try again.

I'll probably wind up uninstalling and starting over, which is fine, but is
there a switch to install it so it puts his .purple file in the T:\.purple
directory to begin with? (He's on XP)