Problem connecting to the server

Brian Morrison bdm at fenrir.org.uk
Wed Aug 19 17:58:40 EDT 2009

On Wed, 19 Aug 2009 14:37:41 -0700
"Laurie Shannon" <laurieshannon at shaw.ca> wrote:

> Hi there,
>

> Thanks for the info Sulabh.  I am still however concerned about privacy.  As
> you can see in my original email (below) I only sent an email to
> support at pidgin.im  I don't know of any "lists".  I don't even have any
> contacts yet.  I did however change my password as you suggested.

The best thing to have done. For your information, the
support at pidgin.im address is for the Pidgin support mailing list, which
sends your mail to all the list subscribers. Remember, Pidgin is a
multi-protocol IM client, it isn't a product supported by a company, it
is written an supported by the people that wrote the code and by the
users.

> Here is the log on connect:
>

> (14:33:53) util: Writing file prefs.xml to directory C:\Documents and
> Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\.purple
> (14:33:53) util: Writing file C:\Documents and
> Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\.purple\prefs.xml
> (14:33:58) account: Connecting to account Eclectic at typists.quicktate.com/qt.
> (14:33:58) connection: Connecting. gc = 019509B8
> (14:33:58) dnssrv: querying SRV record for typists.quicktate.com:
> _xmpp-client._tcp.typists.quicktate.com

OK, so Pidgin looks up the server you want to connect to....

> (14:33:58) wpurple: This version of dnsapi.dll contains DnsQuery_UTF8
> (14:33:58) wpurple: This version of dnsapi.dll contains DnsRecordListFree
> (14:33:59) dnssrv: Couldn't look up SRV record. DNS name does not exist.
> (9003).

And then discovers that it doesn't exist. I suspect that you have
mistyped the name. A quick check reveals that there is a
typists.quickstate.com, that may be running the server you need.

> (14:34:03) util: Writing file accounts.xml to directory C:\Documents and
> Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\.purple
> (14:34:03) util: Writing file C:\Documents and
> Settings\HP_Administrator\Application Data\.purple\accounts.xml

HTH etc.

BTW, please reply *only* to the list address, not to my personal email
address, because then I will get two copies of your email and I only
want the one from the list not the one that will otherwise come
directly from you. OK?

--

Brian Morrison

                                                          Oscar Wilde