[Pidgin] - Disable showing Buddy List on all virtual desktops on Linux???

Jo-Erlend Schinstad joerlend.schinstad at gmail.com
Mon Aug 24 07:14:35 EDT 2009

2009/8/23 Richard Laager <rlaager at wiktel.com>:
> On Sun, 2009-08-23 at 12:39 -0400, Jesse Palser wrote:
>> I just made the permanent switch from Windows to Linux Mint.
>> Got everything setup, but have one question about Pidgin on Linux:
>> How do I disable showing the Pidgin Buddy List on all virtual desktops
>> in Linux?
>> (when I switch virtual desktops, they all have Buddy List on them, but I
>> do not want this)

> This is a question for your window manager, not Pidgin.
>
> Richard

Yes, it's not a Linux question and not a Pidgin question, but a window manager
question. However, I think Linux Mint uses the GNOME Desktop Environment.
It should be possible for you to right click the window icon on your
task list, and
select "Only on this workspace" or "Always on visible workspace". I don't know
why they use a radio button for it, instead of a checkbox. It seems to mean the
opposite for me, but anyway. You can also choose whether you'd like it to be
always on top. It's very nice. :)

That should work for all applications, not just Pidgin. Application developers
might have different defaults for this.

Have fun with GNU & Linux :)