Segmentation Fault from Pidgin 2.6.1 on Ubuntu 2009.4

R. Drew Davis drew at rdd.name
Wed Aug 26 12:46:21 EDT 2009

When I tried to add a new Yahoo buddy today to my pidgin session on
Ubuntu Jaunty, the session crashed.    I ran Synaptic to uninstall
everything to do with pidgin and purple and then I installed pidgin
again - Synaptic brought back purple as a requirement of that install.

deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/pidgin-developers/ppa/ubuntu jaunty main

is what's in sources.list.d/pidgin-ppa.list

Then I started pidgin again, but from a command line.

When I tried to add the new buddy again, the xterm window indicated the
pidgin process died with a segmentation fault.

The only visual irregularity I noticed is that in the add buddy dialog
box there's an arrow for a drop-down to select the group to add the
buddy to, but there's no box to display what I selected from the drop
down list.

I figure you'll want more info for a reproducible problem like this.
What should I try next?

Drew