Facebook and Skype and Plugins

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Aug 28 02:39:17 EDT 2009

John Moore 3rd wrote:
> David Woolley wrote:
>
>> Gets my vote.  I'd also suggest bouncing any posting that contains the
>> words "email", "intended" and "confidential" within a couple of lines of
>> each other.
>
> I understand the frustration; but without employing Google Labs
> technology I know of no practical method for discerning the contents of
> an Email Post prior to it's appearance on the List.  :-D

Most mailing list software already has a similar capability, although it
is generally restricted to matching one line, and typically only looks
at the first few lines.  It's used to catch people who post list
commands to the list itself, so called Administrivia, and redirect it to
the moderator.  It probably cannot be done with existing software, but
it is not as big a step as you suggest! (Actually the legal notice often
is one, very long line.)

(I suspect one of the reasons for the popularity of IM is that email has
lost its spontaneity because it is being treated as formal business mail
and thus leading to such things as legal notices.  Just wait for the
lawyers to realise this!)

--
David Woolley