loud beep when backspace on empty chat

Jeremy Paulding pauldingj at earthlink.net
Tue Dec 8 12:37:23 EST 2009

I'm using 2.6.4 for Windows on XP.  Other than the base install, I have the
SIPE plugin installed, buddy state notification, offline message emulation,
and windows pidgin options.

The problem: When I am in a chat, if I backspace past the 'end' of my text,
I get a loud beep, which is very disruptive.  I've tried turning off sounds
and this still happens.

I'm not sure if this is coming from Pidgin or XP at this point, but I'd like
to be able to disable it, if possible.  Is there a preference or a plugin
that will prevent this behavior?  Otherwise, would it make sense to file a
bug ticket for the fact that this sound plays even when the other 'normal'
sounds are turned off?

I was previously on v2.5.* and don't remember having this problem, in case
that helps.