using video/voice chat

Derrick Walton waltonsabre at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 11 08:48:54 EST 2009

It is my understanding that Pidgin is now able
to support Voice and Video chat. I already have a MSN Live Messenger
and Yahoo account that I've used singularly for both of the
aforementioned functions. I have found and been successful with
further found the information on Pidgin's website explaining what was
needed to install and use the voice/video function and have been
unsuccessful in getting it to activate. IM works fine for both
protocols. Please tell me what (...if anything) I am doing wrong and
how I should correct it. Below are the instructions as I read and
followed them:

For help with building, see Installing Pidgin#Compiling. Please
carefully read through that section and any extra information for the
distribution you're using.

Make sure you have:

    * gstreamer0.10-plugins-good

    * gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad (not sure which version, but it needs to include the gstrtpbin plugin)

    * gstreamer0.10-plugins-farsight >= 0.12.6

in addition to the extra compiling requirements of:

    * farsight2-0.10 => 0.0.8

    * gstreamer-plugins-base-0.10

Additional Tips for Debian/Ubuntu Users: ¶

You'll need these packages from the your Debian/Ubuntu repositories, instead of the ones listed above:

    * gstreamer0.10-plugins-good

    * gstreamer0.10-plugins-bad

    * libgstreamer-plugins-base0.10-dev

  this is from:  Mike Ruprecht (Maiku)