Linux live CD with Pidgin?

Richard Laager rlaager at wiktel.com
Mon Feb 16 19:51:37 EST 2009

On Sat, 2009-02-14 at 12:57 -0500, Rob Stampfli wrote:
> What is the official position of the Pidgin team wrt Ubuntu in
> such situations?   Compile your own copy?

I don't want to speak "for the team" just yet, but I'm going to do what
I hope can be considered official or semi-official Ubuntu packages here:
https://launchpad.net/~pidgin-developers/+archive/ppa

For those of you not familiar with Launchpad PPAs, the idea is that
Launchpad is providing servers to build the packages and host the
downloads.

I have been waiting to publicize this (and keep the packages up-to-date)
until GPG-signed PPAs went live. That has now happened*, so I just need
to rebuild with the latest version of Pidgin. If we're going to release
a 2.5.5 soon, I'll wait until then and cut a package for every supported
version of Ubuntu at the PPA.

For the developers: I'd like to make the "download" link at pidgin.im go
to the PPA for people with Ubuntu in their user-agent string. How do you
feel about this, as opposed to serving them a tarball?

Richard

* From a security standpoint, the GPG signature on the package list file
is issued by the build servers, not (for example) me. So, you're
trusting 0) Pidgin developers, 1) Launchpad's access control to ensure
that only authorized Pidgin developers can upload packages to our PPA,
and 2) Launchpad's servers to not get owned and serve you (signed) evil
substitute packages. #1 is really the only difference between this and
the official Ubuntu packages, assuming the same guys (at Canonical, I'd
bet) run the official Ubuntu mirrors and the Launchpad servers. That's
probably the case, but I don't know for sure.