Pidgin will not start correctly, nor load contacts

Troy Dowling troydowling at shaw.ca
Mon Jan 12 23:51:06 EST 2009

Hello. I have had this issue on both my Desktop and my Laptop both from
the stock Pidgin from the Ubuntu install CD and from compiling version
2.5.3 and 2.5.4 from source. My friend however, installed Ubuntu from
THE SAME disk I used and did not have any issues at all. The problem
occurs after Pidgin starts up. It pretty much runs normally except that
it does not load my contact list and merely says I have "1/0 Contacts
Online" Yes, one out of zero. If I run it from the console with the
--debug flag I get a very verbose output that mostly is just my contact
list. At the end however is this line (I don't know if it's significant,
but it stands out in my mind)

(20:34:40) soap: ignoring malformed line: P3P:CP="BUS CUR CONo FIN IVDo
ONL OUR PHY SAMo TELo"

And the very last line is this:

dns[27411]: nobody needs me... =(

I don't understand what the problem is and I've been forced to use aMSN
or Kopete since Pidgin doesn't work... I would really love some help.

Thanks,
Troy.

-----
uname -srm == Linux 2.6.27-7-generic i686
If you need any other info just ask. I'm not sure what's pertinent.