SOLVED! Pidgin ignores DISPLAY variable.

Rogier Wolff R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl
Fri Jan 23 05:02:58 EST 2009

On Thu, Jan 22, 2009 at 06:48:10PM -0600, Kevin Stange wrote:
> Rogier Wolff wrote:
> <snip>
> >
> > Pidgin however doesn't seem to support the first method (no -display
> > option), and it more or less ignores the DISPLAY environment variable:
> >
> > it mumbles:
> >
> > Xlib:  extension "RANDR" missing on display ":1.0".
> >
> > and then displays on :0.0
>
> Pidgin has --display= and honors the DISPLAY environmental variable.
>
> When I try to use an alternate display Pidgin seems to work fine with
> it.  I know it handles multiple displays properly as I've used it on
> multi-user systems with multiple people running Pidgin and over X
> forwarding.  I was able to successfully use it with Xnest.

I was actually trying to use it with Xvfb.

% Xvfb :1 &
% setenv DISPLAY :1.0
% xterm &
% sawfish &
% pidgin --display :1.0 &
% pidgin &

I have a feeling pidgin contacts some sort of gnome-session manager,
which tells it: "we are SUCH a happy familiy here on :0.0 come join
us!!"

I just tested with Xnest. Same behaviour:

% Xnest :2 &
% setenv DISPLAY :2.0
% xterm &
% sawfish &
% pidgin &
% pidgin --display :2.0 &

OK Found it.

It is not connecting to some gnome-thingy, it's contacting another
pidgin. I apparently closed the pidgin window, but it was still
running in the background.

killall pidgin fixes things. Sorry for the confusion.

May I make a suggestion then? If I'm starting a pidign that determines
anohter pidgin is running with a different display, it should print a
warning....

(Firefox is also annoying like this. If I log into a different machine
because I want to test something on a different firefox version, it
contacts my local firefox, and launches a new window there.... Fine,
if I just wanted to have a new window, but annoying if I wanted to
test something on the slightly different firefox version.)

	Roger.

--
** R.E.Wolff at BitWizard.nl ** http://www.BitWizard.nl/ ** +31-15-2600998 **
**    Delftechpark 26 2628 XH  Delft, The Netherlands. KVK: 27239233    **