Can't load smileys?

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Sun Jul 5 18:15:44 EDT 2009

Dennis Carr wrote:
> Just built 2.5.8 in Debian Lenny (and aptitude'd all the appropriate
> lib*-dev packages), but now when I run, it won't start.
>
>>From a terminal window, I get this:
>
> pidgin: symbol lookup error: pidgin: undefined symbol:
> purple_smileys_get_all
>
> Note the association with libpurple-dev 2.4.3-4lenny2.

If you still have libpurple 2.4.x installed on your system, and it's in
/usr/lib rather than /usr/local/lib, it may be getting picked up ahead
of your new libpurple.  Generally speaking, Pidgin always requires the
most recent minor version of libpurple (so 2.5.0 or higher).  For best
results, you should use the same version of both, since they are
developed and tested together.

Try removing all libpurple and pidgin related packages from your package
manager, run ldconfig and see if that helps.

Kevin