Simpler update (Windows)

Daniel Atallah datallah at pidgin.im
Thu Jul 9 11:25:12 EDT 2009

On Thu, Jul 9, 2009 at 3:50 AM, David Woolley<forums at david-woolley.me.uk> wrote:
> David Balazic wrote:
>

>> 1.) click next ("Welcome...")
>
> Possibly a limitation of the installer package.
>
>> 2.) agree to license
>
> Typical open source licences aren't written to cover future updates, so
> there is a new licence being given.  This step may not be strictly necessary
> for bare licences, but given the populare confusion between freeware, open
> source and "public domain", possibly desirable.
>
> Commercial software updaters often require agreement to a supplementary
> licence agreement, at this point.
>
>> 3.) components selection
>
> Needed.  A user might change the selection, or there may be new choices.
>
>> 4.) Destination folder selection
>
> Redundant, but only if the installer is able to find the old folder.
>
>> 5.) Confirming the completion
>
> Desirable.  This represents the start of the commit for the udpate, and it
> needs to be clear to the user when they are going to do the permanent
> change.  I sometimes dry run installs.
>
>> 6.) Confirming "finishation" (with the option to run)
>
> Possibly built into the installer package.

It is possible to avoid a couple steps, but the effort to do so
doesn't seem worthwhile (especially when you consider the impact it
has on translations).

I don't think the current process is at all painful (and it isn't
something that is done all that frequently either).

I might consider a patch if one were supplied, but otherwise I'm not
inclined to make any changes of this nature.

-D