[solved] problem with Yahoo

Sulabh Mahajan sulabh.dev at gmail.com
Sun Jul 19 05:20:54 EDT 2009

I think what the official yahoo client does is, if the user provides the
email address instead of the id, it looks whether its on the yahoo domain or
not, and strips the email to id if it is on yahoo domain. If not on the
yahoo domain, it uses as such.

eg-

If I use "abcd at yahoo.com" or "abcd at yahoo.co.in" it will be stripped to
"abcd".
But if I use "abcd at ymail.com", it is used as such.

But I am not 100% sure here, so Correct me if wrong.

Either we can implement the above mentioned procedure, or we can try to
login with email stripped to id if we get error 1013.

Note: Initial Y16! login goes fine, even with the email address instead of
the id, it is only later that we receive a packet from the server (auth
response) giving error 1013, and disconnecting us. This means that username
(that is the email address) and password are correct, or else we would not
have passed stage 1 of Y16 login.
On receiving error 1013, we can safely assume that login credentials were
not wrong. By now, we have not seen this error to be caused by anything
other than using email address instead of the id.

I say, we should at least strip the email to id and try to login if we get
error 1013. Also, if I am correct about what official client does, we can
strip the username in case of @yahoo and leave untouched otherwise.

-- Sulabh