Rss Support in Pidgin ?

Kevin Stange kstange at pidgin.im
Mon Jul 20 05:17:47 EDT 2009

dhruv bhutani wrote:
> I'd like to know if we can add rss support to get the headlines from rss feeds instantaneously.
> I prefer to read all the news items in a browser instead of feed reader but miss out sometimes. and i dont like to keep the feedreader open all the time.
>
> I am currently relying on the engadget twitter feed to keep getting notifications through pidgin.
>
> Other im's like Miranda have this feature but as a complete messenger , i find Pidgin to be the best.

We don't feel this is a feature that belongs to in a messaging
application, so this is not something we are currently likely to accept
into Pidgin.  However, it should be reasonably easy to do this as a
plugin that inserts notifications somewhere into the user interface.

Pidgin's goal is to implement functions related to the IM services in
uniform ways for a unified UI, and we prefer not to add features that
have no association with an IM service to the client.

Kevin