harassment issue

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Jul 28 03:59:50 EDT 2009

Teddybear12787 wrote:

> I use pidgin with aim and I am being harassed by a user. I know how to
> block him but he keeps on using different screen names to harass me. How
> do I report this to AIM. Their website was not helpful at all.

The procedure is given in
<http://www.aim.com/help_faq/starting_out/getstarted.adp#thirteen>.  It
involves using the standard client.

I would advise using the standard client in this case, as you may get
rejected out of hand by their first line support people, if they think
you are using a non-standard client, even though the issue has nothing
to do with the client. The aim.com doesn't have an official abuse
contact, but emailing abuse@<some relevant domain name> may also get to
the right people. (Include details of times, timezones, screen names, etc.)

Unfortuantely, blocking a persistent IM abuser depends on AIMs ability
to identify the underlying abuser.  This may involve cooperation from
their ISP, and a really determined abuser may continually change ISPs.

Ultimately, though, this is an issue between you and AIM and not related
to Pidgin.

--
David Woolley