Westell 6110F modem breaks pidgin connectivity

Paul Aurich paul at darkrain42.org
Sat Jun 6 03:00:26 EDT 2009

On Jun 2, 2009, at 19:36, LailaKumaki at gmail.com wrote:
> I recently reconfigured my network using a new Westell 6110F modem
> as a bridge to my original router.
>
> Without changing my router's settings whatsoever, the new modem
> appears to have made pidgin unable to connect to my IM protocols.
> gmail and MSN get a refused connection.
>
> However, accessing gmail through my browser and accessing MSN
> through the live messenger work perfectly.
>
> I have attempted forwarding the protocol's listen ports on my router
> to no avail. Pidgin now simply fails to connect. Curiously I
> attempted to use Trillian as an alternative and encountered the same
> problem.

I don't know why MSN isn't working (it may be unrelated), but Google
Talk probably isn't working because your new modem cannot handle DNS
queries properly.

See http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/Protocol%20Specific%20Questions#WhycantIlogontomyGoogleTalkGoogleAppsaccountanymore
  for more information.

~Paul