Pulseaudio and volume control

dan dan at entropy.homelinux.org
Mon Jun 15 00:20:33 EDT 2009

Greetings.

I'm using pidgin-2.5.6 and pulseaudio-0.9.15 and I'm having difficulty
setting the volume of pidgin notification sounds. I use pavucontrol to set
the playback levels for various apps / streams / whatever. The trouble is
that pidgin's sounds are too short for me to be able to grab onto the
volume slider in pavucontrol. Pavucontrol only displays a volume slider
when a sound is being played, so pidgin appears for a very short period of
time, then disappears again.

After some searching around, I found a post along the same lines in the
pulseaudio mailing list, where the response was that pidgin should use
libcanberra for notification sounds, which would result in pidgin sounds
going through the 'System Sounds' stream / whatever. 'System Sounds' are
*always* visible in pavucontrol. I'm not 100% convinced with this answer
however. Personally I would prefer to see pavucontrol display levels for
apps even while they're not playing ( perhaps in another page ). Anyway,
this
isn't possible now.

Are there any known solutions? Are there any plans to use libcanberra as
per the suggestion mentioned above? Is there any dialog between pidgin &
pulseaudio communities on this issue?

Thanks :)

Dan