Installing pidgin IM server

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Tue Jun 23 02:47:16 EDT 2009

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 4:58 AM, NiMiZ<cnimrod at gmail.com> wrote:
> I want to install pidgin IM on my close (not connected to the Internet) network,
> I'm searching after pidgin IM server (I saw only client) - do you have one?
> if not - can you recommend one to install on Linux (Ubunutu or Suse)?

Hi NiMiZ,

No, there is no Pidgin server.  It is a client only.  If you want an
IM server to install on an internal network then you should look into
Jabber.  There are multiple free Jabber servers.  I've found
Openfire[1] to be relatively easy to use, but you can find others by
searching for "jabber server."

-Mark

[1] http://www.igniterealtime.org/projects/openfire/index.jsp