Finch: questions on development, usage, etc

Sadrul Habib Chowdhury sadrul at pidgin.im
Thu Jun 25 04:02:21 EDT 2009

* Daniel had this to say on [24 Jun 2009, 21:34:36 -0700]:
> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 12:08:56AM -0400, Sadrul Habib Chowdhury wrote:
> > * Daniel had this to say on [24 Jun 2009, 13:33:49 -0700]:
> > > Sadrul,
> > >
> > > I've got some more feedback for you. I ended up going back to centerim
> > > for now, but I'd like to share my opinion so you have a users
> > >   perspective.
> > >
> > > * The lack of of a state of it remembering what messages were unread was
> > > one of the big factors for me moving back to centerim.
> > >
> > > I think that could easily solved by a plugin or better yet, nativly which just remembers which
> > > windows were open last. Kind of like most web browsers remember what
> > > tabs you had opened when you exit/crash.
> > >

> > Indeed. Try out 'Session Save' from
> > http://developer.pidgin.im/wiki/ThirdPartyPlugins, for example.
>
> I set the GAIM_SRCDIR to be pidgin-2.5.7/pidgin
> but got compile errors. The plugin is two years old. Maybe you can
> integrate the plugin into the source?
>
> I'm happy that all my other problems are solved in one way or another :)
>
> What decides if a plugin gets distibuted with finch or not?

We usually ship the plugins which we are able and willing to maintain and
support. Often they are the ones we write, because the authors of a
plugin would be the best persons to help users with any problems.

Consequently, you should let the authors of the 'Session Save' plugin know
about your compilation issues :) But looking at the Makefile, I think you
need to set GAIM_SRCDIR to pidgin-2.5.7/libpurple. You may also need to
include 'gaim-compat.h' from sessionsave.c

Cheers,
Sadrul