Problems with DBUS methods

Dan Vratil vratil at progdansoft.com
Sat Jun 27 17:23:24 EDT 2009

Hello,
I'm was messing around Pidign's DBUS interface and I have a problem with some
methods (for example purpleFindBuddies - I know it is prefixed with "purple"
but I hope these are the right mailinglists :-) )

For reaching all the methods I use program qdbusviewer. When I try to execute
method purpleFindBuddies, I get following error dialog:

Unable to find method PurpleFindBuddies on path /im/pidgin/purple/PurpleObject
in interface im.pidgin.purple.PurpleInterface

And in console (running pidgin --debug) appears following:

(23:16:02) dbus: Need to register an object with the dbus subsystem. (If you
are not a developer, please ignore this message.)
(23:16:02) dbus: The signal "dbus-introspect" caused some dbus error. (If you
are not a developer, please ignore this message.)

Also trying to use qdbus returns some error:

[progdan at notas ~]$ qdbus im.pidgin.purple.PurpleService
/
/im
/im/pidgin
/im/pidgin/purple
/im/pidgin/purple/PurpleObject
Cannot introspect object /im/pidgin/purple/PurpleObject at
im.pidgin.purple.PurpleService:
org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownInterface (Interface
'org.freedesktop.DBus.Introspectable' was not found)

I'm using dbus 1.2.14 and latest Pidgin. I tried it on Kubuntu with the same
software and I got the same errors. Am I doing something wrong? Or is it a
problem in Pidgin or libpurple itself? Also, could you give me some hint about
what should I do?

Thank you

With regards
Dan Vratil