Legality of .NET Messenger (MSN Messenger) with Pidgin/GAIM

Michelle Konzack linux4michelle at tamay-dogan.net
Sun Jun 28 05:48:47 EDT 2009

Hello David,

Am 2009-06-28 09:26:38, schrieb David Woolley:
> I've been using GAIM to access .NET Messenger from Linux, but have just
> upgraded my Windows partition to XP.  When I tried to log in to MSN
> Messenger, it said there was a mandatory upgrade, which I downloaded.
>
> I am one of those people who actually reads small print, so I read the
> licence terms and it seems to say that I may not use unauthorised
> clients to access .NET Messenger.  Not unsurprisingly, Pidgin/GAIM is
> not amongst the small list on their authorised clients sites.
>
> I abandoned the install to avoid agreeing, until I'd researched the
> issue more.
>
> Is there any news on this restriction?

This paragraphe in the Microsoft EULA could lead to a lawsuit in  Europe
against Microsoft because Microsoft is trying to kickoff competitors...

Microsoft will be not able to enforce a lawsuit against  anyone  in  (at
least) Europe.

There are already several judgement in Germany and of course, of the EU.

Thanks, Greetings and nice Day/Evening
    Michelle Konzack
    Systemadministrator
    25.9V Electronic Engineer
    Tamay Dogan Network
    Debian GNU/Linux Consultant

Michelle Konzack   c/o Shared Office KabelBW  ICQ #328449886
+49/177/9351947    Blumenstasse 2             MSN LinuxMichi
+33/6/61925193     77694 Kehl/Germany         IRC #Debian (irc.icq.com)