Moving Buddies from one group to other

Paul Aurich paul at darkrain42.org
Mon Jun 29 02:21:31 EDT 2009

And anand arun spoke on 06/28/2009 11:13 PM, saying:
> Hi Sulabh,
>
> Its XMPP. Please suggest if there is a solution to this.
>
> Thanks,
> Anand.

Based on my understanding (from discussions with previous Oracle
employees who've had this question), the issue is that the groups are
enforced by the server (it's a shared roster; contacts are assigned to
groups based on department, for example). The server involved doesn't
actually allow individual users to remove the contacts from those
groups, so at next login, when we fetch the list, we see that the user
is in the original group and move them back (in reality, I'd bet the
original move generates an error response from the server, but we don't
do anything with those).

In this particular case, you'll need to contact your IT department for
assistance, but you're probably *always* going to be stuck with the
users in their original groups. You should be able to add them to other
groups (from the Buddy List, Buddy->Add Buddy and select a different
group) if you want.

~Paul