Typing notification problems on internatl XMPP server

Etienne Snyman etienne at micmusic.co.za
Sun Mar 15 05:58:02 EDT 2009

Hi! My name is Etienne Snyman, a student at Stellenbosch University,
South Africa

At the university, we have an extensive internal network between the
faculties and residences, and a few students took some initiative a
number of years back to create an internal Jabber/XMPP server, and
writing a free client they call "Urpu" for Windows.
I, however, use Ubuntu Linux, and thus use Pidgin as my instant messenger.

My problem, however, is that whenever my friends at the university chat
with me, I can see typing notifications of them, but they cannot see
mine. They do not know when I am typing, but I know when they are.

The information given on the internal network about the server is:
 - Standard XMPP messaging compliant
 - TLS Encryption

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can fix this?

Thanks for your time!
Etienne

--
Mic Professional Music
Web: www.micmusic.co.za
Email: etienne at micmusic.co.za

Living life in danger is real living. The rest is television.