How to log in to google talk with university emails?

John Moore 3rd jmoore3rd at Gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 16:22:49 EDT 2009

Jarn wrote:
> I'm trying to log in to google talk via Pidgin with my university-provided
> gmail address (xxxx at u.northwestern.edu). I can log in with google's own
> Google Talk merely by typing in xxxx at u.northwestern.edu for the name, but
> when I do that in pidgin it doesn't connect and says "error connecting to
> host u.northwestern.edu at gmail.com". Does anyone know how I would go about
> connecting with my university email address?

Apparently Your University Address is being processed through Google
Apps or some corporate version.  Have You tried setting up using the
XMPP Protocol instead of the Google-Talk Protocol set-up screen.  It
won't force gmail into the Domain and You just need to specify the
Server as Talk.google.com and also be prepared to 'Accept' the
Certificate whenever 1st logging in.

JOHN ;)
Timestamp: Wednesday 18 Mar 2009, 16:22  --400 (Eastern Daylight Time)