Bonjour Problems

Chris Hearns chearns at cmpl.org
Wed Mar 25 17:04:44 EDT 2009

I want to deploy pidgin on our local network.  I plan on having 50 users
in 8 different departments.

I am going to use Bonjour but I have having one issue when testing.

I set up 2 computers with pidgin and created a bonjour username, etc.

Pidgin shows the bonjour user and I can chat between both fine.

Each user is in the default "bonjour group".

I then create a new group "dept 1"

I move the user listed under 'bonjour" group to the "dept 1" group

Everything is fine.  Can still chat to user and is still online.

Once I close either instance of pidgin and reopen "user stays offline"

If I put the user back in the bonjour group and reopen pidgin; it
correctly sees the user online.

I can't just have 50 users in the bonjour group.

Any idea what is going wrong.

Please help!!