Pidgin 2.5.5 crashes on logging in to MSN account with large number of contacts

Gilles Gravier gilles at gravier.org
Fri May 8 05:48:08 EDT 2009

Hi!

Ka-Hing Cheung wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:24:28AM +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>
>> Hi!
>>
>> Since this week, more or less, when I log into MSN Messenger with pidgin
>> with my account "Gilles at Gravier.org" pidgin starts connecting, then
>> crashes. This happens on Windows and on Solaris. With Pidgin 2.5.5.
>>
>> It doesn't happen with other accounts on MSN that have a smaller list of
>> contacts.
>>
>> I've tried from a clean configuration (i.e. deleted .purple and
>> re-entered the account details from MSN, supposing things like a cache
>> corruption for the icons but to no avail).
>>
>> Suggestions? Ideas?
>>

> Please get a backtrace:
>
> http://d.pidgin.im/wiki/GetABackTrace

Actually, I've found what was causing it... One I removed all my Yahoo
Messenger contacts from my MSN profile (with a REAL MSN Messenger on
Windows) then Pidgin doesn't crash anymore. It seems that Pidgin doesn't
like finding my Yahoo contacts on MSN Messenger? Does it get confused?

So of course, now, it doesn't crash anymore, which means I can't
generate a useful backtrace... :(

Gilles.