how to sign off completely

Kevin Stange kevin at simguy.net
Wed May 13 19:00:14 EDT 2009

j j wrote:
> i have pidgin on a public computer and i'd like to be able to sign out
> of it completely so that i can log on with a password. when i hit
> buddies>quit  or X out, and get back in, it signs on automatically. How
> do I take that feature off so that I sign in like a normal messenger?

If you tell Pidgin not to save your passwords, it will prompt you for
them when you start it up.  If this is a public computer, you should
probably not be saving your passwords by going to Accounts > Manage and
editing each account to uncheck "Remember password."

You can set Pidgin to offline by selecting the Offline item from the
drop-down list at the bottom of the buddy list window.

To have Pidgin start up in Offline mode, you can either run pidgin with
the "-n" option on the command line or go to Tools > Preferences >
Status / Idle and uncheck the option "Use status from last exit at
startup" and specify to start up in Offline mode.

Kevin