Meebo use of libpurple

Kyle Stanek kylestanek at gmail.com
Thu May 21 15:50:34 EDT 2009

Hello,

I have a licensing question.  Do you guys feel that Meebo's use of libpurple
is acceptable given the GPL status of the libpurple codebase?  According to
a post on the Meebo website, they feel that they are not required to release
their source code because they do not directly distribute binaries to
customers (since Meebo is a web application).  The reason that I ask is
because I am thinking about starting a project using the libpurple codebase
and I'm wondering what the licensing restrictions would be.

Thanks in advance,
Kyle Stanek