Downgrading Pidgin

Sameer Bhiwani sameer.bhiwani at gmail.com
Tue May 26 03:15:42 EDT 2009

Hi,

I currently have Pidgin 2.5.1 and want to install 2.3.1 as it supports
connecting to multiple XMPP servers with the same login/password. Not sure
why this functionality was dropped int he newer releases.

In any case, is downgrading as straight-forward as upgrading?

When I try to install the older version it expects me to uninstall the newer
one, but I am afraid I will lose my current preferences and chat logs - is
this the case?
If I need to back something up, what is it? And if it comes to that, how
should I restore? I am specifically concerned about my chat logs, the
preferences dont matter much.

thanks,
Sam