Notification options

Dan Mahoney, System Admin danm at prime.gushi.org
Thu May 28 16:29:59 EDT 2009

On Thu, 28 May 2009, Tom Charlesworth wrote:

> I'm using pidgin under ubuntu, as a client to Yahoo.   My problem:  I stare
> at my screen(s) all day coding, with my headphones blasting away, and I have
> a single tabbed window with multiple idle conversations, I Never see  when
> someone types  into an existing conversation, and I don't see new
> conversations show up.   The minimized icon turns a light blue, which I don't
> see, and the audio notification gets lost in the music I'm listening to.
>
> I would like to see a pop-up that stays on the screen, and doesn't fade away.
> I would like to see the light blue minimized icon flash in Red.
>
> I'm sure there's a way to do this, either standard configuration, or a
> plug-in, but I haven't been able to find it.

I've found the "tabbed" interface that seems to be a popular thing of late
annoying -- it means I lose the context I'd gain from looking at my
taskbar or the alt-tab captions.

Your problem relates to this.

If you separate each conversation into its own window, you get the effect
that you're looking for in your system tray (similar to older versions of
AIM, for example).  It's not a "pop up" but it is a persistent
notification of which conversations have changed.

-Dan

--

"there is no loyalty in the business, so we stay away from things that piss people off"

-The Boss, November 12, 2002