Licq History converter to Pidgin Logs

Mark Doliner mark at kingant.net
Mon Nov 9 14:28:14 EST 2009

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Johann Glaser <Johann.Glaser at gmx.at> wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Am Sonntag, den 08.11.2009, 14:56 -0600 schrieb Richard Laager:
>> On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 21:03 +0100, Johann Glaser wrote:
>> > Is it true that in this case every added contact requires a new
>> > confirmation of "acceptance" by him?
>>
>> I'm not sure. I don't think I've touched that part of the code. You'll
>> just have to look and see, or wait for someone else to jump in with an
>> answer.
>
> Some time ago I tried to add a user which was in the Licq-client-list to
> Pidgin (which used the server list). At this time a new authorization
> request was necessary. I guess the ICQ servers require this
> authorization if you add a user to the server-list.

Yeah, this will probably result in the ICQ servers asking each buddy
for authorization.  I believe the protocol does have some concept of
"importing" a non-server side list of buddies and not asking for
authorization, but Pidgin/libpurple does not support this.  It also
may not be documented anywhere.  And it may not be possible.

Is licq capable of using a server-side buddy list?  If so, does it
have a way to import your old buddies?  If so, that is probably your
best option.

>> > Why does Pidgin at all silently (at least for 99% of all users, who
>> > don't read the output of --debug) delete buddies?
>>
>> AFAIK, it's *respecting* the list from the server. This ensures that if
>> someone makes changes using another client (possibly on another
>> machine), their changes are reflected in Pidgin. I think our MSN plugin
>> still prompts users for any discrepancies.
>>
>> FWIW, your same "99% of all users" aren't going to be manually editing
>> the blist.xml file. ;)
>
> Hehe, yes. The changed-by-other-client reason was clear. But what if due
> to another reason some users vanish? Hmm, probably ICQ clients now
> always rely on the server list.

Yes, we trust the server list for AIM and ICQ.  The local copy is
useful for storing additional metadata about buddies (the alias you
assign to them, the last-seen timestamp, etc.)

-Mark

-Mark