mails with no Subject: line

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Nov 27 02:58:56 EST 2009

John Bailey wrote:

> It could be partially the crappy webmail interfaces to blame, but a lot of this
> falls squarely on the shoulders of people who don't know how to use e-mail properly.

It basically reflects the market for Pidgin, and particularly that
segment of the market that can't solve problems, or determine that a
request is unreasonable, by themselves.

> It's been threatened before to make all our mailing lists forcibly reject mail
> without proper subject lines, but nothing has come of that yet.  For the record,
> I'm fully in favor of rejecting blank subjects.

To do a good job, you would need some good heuristics.  One or two word
subjects or the use of the word "help", should get poor scores, but I
don't know how you do good AI to recognize all subjects that properly
summarise a problem or question.

I did try fixing up the subjects of articles to which I replied, but got
complaints from people using subject only threading.

--
David Woolley